Become A Volunteer
– Fill out and submit the application form at the bottom of this page.
You will be contacted by the HAB membership coordinator who can assist you with completing all the membership requirements described below and answering any other HAB related questions you might have.
– Schedule a physical examination for your pet with your veterinarian. A fecal sample from your pet is required to complete the physical exam. Your veterinarian will issue you a health certificate (see sample form under the Member Resources tab); retain a copy for yourself to carry on visits and provide a copy to HAB at a monthly membership meeting or through the mail. Military members have the option of making an appointment at the post veterinary clinic for this requirement, 913-684-6510.
– Schedule a temperament test for your pet. For military members, the military veterinarian will conduct the test in conjunction with your pet’s physical exam. Others can have their pet tested by designated veteran members of HAB, which is usually done prior to our meetings or a mutually convenient time.
– Review membership paperwork under the Resources tab. The confidentiality agreement requires a signature which can be done at your first membership meeting.
– Pay your dues to the HAB treasurer. Dues consist of $25 for one pet, $30 for two pets or for a family membership. They can be paid during a membership meeting or through the mail.
– Attend a HAB meeting with your pet. General Membership meetings are held quarterly at 6:30 p.m. at the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Parish Hall, 207 N. 7th Street, Leavenworth, KS. Members are encouraged to attend meetings regularly.
– Complete one observation visit without your pet. Observation visits can be scheduled by reviewing the monthly calendar under the Schedule tab on the website at and then applying to for approval of your selected visit.
– Complete three supervised visits with your pet. A veteran pet therapy team member will supervise these visits.